Department of Design and Art, Full-time Programmes
Higher Diploma in Interior Design
01/09/2020 - 31/08/2023
Mode of Study & Programme Length:
Medium of Instruction:
Cantonese Supplemented with English
HK$58,900/year* ($5,890 X 10 installments) *Students will receive financial assistance from COC with an amount of HK$20,000 yearly.
- The first interior design full-time sub-degree programme integrating Virtual Reality (VR) technology in Hong Kong.
- Provides conceptual and technical knowledge for students aspiring to a career in interior design, including 2D drafting, 3D drawing and architectural structural studies.
- Equipped with professional equipment and software such as AutoCAD, Sketch Up, 3D Studio, Rhino and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Assists students to create design portfolios for further studies and career development.
- Cultivate lifelong learning and professional practices and prepare students to be independent learners, team players and enable them to connect with architects, designers and project developers
- Enable students to create innovative spaces both in commercial and residential based on materiality, building construction systems to enhance the development of spaces
- Prepare students for further study and practical interior design development
- Provide students with a well-balanced exposure to the theories and practices of interior design, environmental and sustainability protections in an integrated learning atmosphere with trade-specific learning contents, to satisfy the expanding needs of the interior design industry
- Equip students with an understanding of sustainability in design industries and nurture students’ awareness of historical, cultural and innovation in local contexts
- Develop students’ creativity, problem-solving skills, arts and design appreciation, between different sources of inspiration to achieve a portfolio of interior design in 3D communication, especially the virtual reality visualisation
- Workplace English and Communication I
- Design Thinking and Theories
- Fundamental Computer Application Skills
- Practical Chinese
- Design Basic and Modelling
- Interior Design Fundamental (This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund ; CEF Course No: 32Z135346)
- Architectural Communication: AutoCAD
- 2D Visualisation: Drafting
- Workplace English and Communication II
- Visual Studies and Culture
- Introduction to Building Studies
- Design Studio I: Residential (This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund ; CEF Course No: 32Z135354)
- 3D Visualisation: 3D Max and VR
- 2D Visualisation: Rendering Techniques
- Architectural Communication: SketchUp
- Material Exploration
- Personal Growth and Development
- Design Studio II: Commercial (This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund ; CEF Course No: 32Z135362)
- Architectural Communication: Rhino
- 3D Visualisation: Animation and VR (This course has been included in the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund ; CEF Course No: 32Z135370)
- Introduction to Design Management
- Application and Appreciation of Furniture Design
- Graduation Project
- Portfolio Visualisation for Interior Design
- Understanding of Professional Practice
- Sustainability and Environmental Design
- Obtain Level 2 in five subjects in Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE) including Chinese Language and English Language; or
- Complete Pre-associate Degree or Diploma Yi Jin or equivalent; or
- Obtain relevant QF Level 3 qualification (with at least 1-year full-time study load) or equivalent recognized by HKCAAVQ; or
- Mature student aged 21 with relevant job experience; and
- Pass admission interview*.
*Qualified applicants should bring a simple portfolio to the admission interview. The portfolio can include sketchbook, drawings, photos etc.
- The programme has been recognized by Hong Kong Interior Design Association (HKIDA)
- Students under the programme are eligible to apply for HKIDA Student Members.
Career Prospects and Further Studies
- Graduates are eligible to gain employment opportunities in a wide range of professional design posts, such as interior designer, furniture designer, lighting designer, interior decorator, project consultant, project manager etc.
- Graduates are also eligible to apply for relevant degree programmes offered by local and overseas universities.